Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Carrot Cake part VI: The Most Important Meal of the Day

Carrots are like grocery bags, apparently. They just turn up in the refrigerator for no reason, and then you have to do something with them lest you feel bad about wasting food. On the bright side, I've gotten to try all manner of different cake recipes. However, it turns out there are a lot of bad carrot cake recipes. Some of them come out flavorless. Most of them are variations on this. Today, on the grounds that carrots are clearly good for you, we are going to attempt to start our day with...

Carrot Pancakes

1 c minus 2 tbsp cups flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
Cinnamon to taste
½ teaspoon salt
1 c sour cream
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp oil
1 egg
Vanilla
1 c packed shredded carrots
½ c milk

Beat sour cream, brown sugar, oil, and egg, and vanilla together. Stir in the baking powder, soda, salt, and cinnamon. Mix in the carrots, and last the flour.
Add the milk gradually until batter is thinned as you like, and cook on a well-oiled griddle over medium heat.

This actually looked fairly promising. The sour cream should theoretically add a nice kick, and there's not so much oil that we'll have another turns-the-paper-clear cake like the first one we ever made. Besides, whole wheat flour is very healthy, isn't it?
Kinda chunky, but looks about right.
This is when I realize why I hardly ever make pancakes. My mother used to make them all the time for us. She can pour them nearly to the edge of the griddle like this...

...and actually turn them. When I try that, I get this:
Is it believable to say my religion says to always scrape the first attempt away as an offering to the gods?
Well, that one ended up in the disposal. I poured the second to a more manageable size.
Eh, silver-dollar pancakes are better anyway.
It smelled really nice and toasty when I flipped it.

...And it was raw in the middle! I thought I'd write it off as I'm just terrible at pancakes, and let the next ones cook a really long time before turning them.
If they ain't cooked through now, they never will be.
And they were still raw and gummy in the middle! That's it, time to bring out the big guns.
This was last seen in the making of this divoon creation which I wish I had right now.
 That batter took 8 minutes to cook. For reference, most waffles take 2-4. The peanut butter cookies were done in 45-60 seconds. This should by all rights be burnt and inedible. Instead, it looks tempting and nice.

...And it was still like paste in the middle! Since I didn't eat any of these, here's a shot of who did:

But making this wasn't all bad. It made the kitchen smell nice, and we had really good leftovers from last night anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment