Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Have you dumped Dr. Pepper into your cookies today?

Today on A Book of Cookrye, we're busting out a cookpamphlet that is a big deal to a lot of people in my house:
I am so disappointed there is no recipe for Dr. Pepper French bread.


And making this!

Holiday Cutouts

1 c butter or margarine
1 c light brown sugar
1 egg
1½ c raw oatmeal*
2¼ c flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
¼ c Dr. Pepper

Cream butter and sugar, beat until light. Mix in vanilla and egg. Add oats, then salt and baking soda. When mixed, alternately add the flour and Dr. Pepper. Chill, then roll out and cut.
Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes.

*I didn't feel like putting this in.


I'm not kidding when I say Dr. Pepper is a big deal here. Not only do they have a museum, but we regularly stop there for the working 1900s soda fountain. So it is only natural and good I should start dumping that high fructose goodness into my culinary perpetrations.
I was surprised at how fluffy the butter and brown sugar ended up being.

There's always a case of the stuff at home, so I'm surprised I haven't put a few cans to culinary use before. Y'know, since we have the book for it and all.
I once threw out a batch of cookies because it looked curdled like this, and was embarrassed when the next time they did the same thing and came out fine anyway. 

However, this is all the Dr. Pepper that's supposed to go into these cookies.
Barely a puddle in the measuring cup.

Nevertheless, this was my cookie dough:


I know I left out the oatmeal and stuff, but I don't think that would have made these thick enough to be cookies.


However, it turned out to be a really nice, surprisingly fluffy cake:
Honestly, not bad!

But I was so bummed it didn't actually taste like Dr. Pepper at all. It was really good, if a little bland for want of flavoring (I was really light on the vanilla and such because I'd thought the Dr. Pepper would be adding to it). I doubt I'll be making it again, though. The Dr. Pepper was pointless. The cake was good, but I've had better.

No comments:

Post a Comment